Food Service and Hospitality Strategic Marketing
Individual Assignment #3, Segmentation
This week’s readings present some very unique frameworks for segmenting your potential market. The articles for this week include traditional demographic categories and some psychographics that are typical of these categories as well as different methods of segmentation. Use these resources and additional research as you determine necessary to:
1. Fill your own demographic information into the categories listed in the “Demographics for Restaurants” article.
• Age (29)
• Income levels (40k)
• Education and job types (Associates degree, full time job for a copier company and waitress on the weekends)
• Marital status (divorced)
• Size of household (2)
• Housing and renting prices (rent $700)
2. Consider what you learned about psychographics in the course resources this week. Do the preferences associated with certain demographic groups match up with your preferences and your demographic groups?
3. Review the list of Eater Archetypes in the Technomic articles. Which one best describes you? Are the preferences associated with your Eater Archetype the same as your preferences?
4. What does the accuracy of these two frameworks say about the usefulness of this type of analysis? What does it say about the limitations? In your opinion, which is a more useful framework?