This is the last of three exercises that you will be completing.
The organizing function occurs when management synchronizes and combines the resources of the organization (people, capital, and physical) to complete the goals set out in the planning stage. All three of these resources are critical for attaining results. This week you will look at how Biotech will align the human resources of the new Infant Formula Division, the culture that will guide the organizational behavior and how the products will align with the mission.
The Director of the Infant Formula Division has just tasked the Expert Food Consultants group with determining the best line of infant formula products to be in the initial launch a year from now, the best location for sustainable and organic ingredients, as well as the identification of the facility for production. For the potential product line; as group leader you have been asked to identify potential products, the percentage of net profit of the products based on the industry average and to discuss the success of other infant formula companies that provide sustainable and organic products. In addition, it is necessary to identify the best location to source the organic material for ingredients and to identify where current infant formula companies are sourcing the materials.
Exercise Instructions: act as the group lead from Expert Foods Consultants, assigned to Biotech’s. You will put together a document that contains answers to the following research items. The document is a Word document or Rich Text Format (RTF) document that provides the answers to the following elements that thoroughly answers the questions and is supported using the course material.
Due Date: Week 5 – Saturday 11:59pm
Elements to Address
You will research and answer the following:
- Discuss what products (i.e. grass feed cow milk, non-GMO, sensitive, liquid, soy, etc.) would be best for the initial launch based on market analysis;
- Potential percentage of net profit of the above products based on industry average for each product;
- Success of other infant formula companies that provide sustainable and organic products.
Once a potential product line has been identified, you will:
- Identify the best location to source the organic materials for your ingredients. Research and identify where current infant formula companies are sourcing the materials and provide explanation as to why this location would be the best source for the ingredients. Be sure to cite the sources and use the course material in explaining why the location is the best for sourcing the ingredients.
Based on the location identified in week 2 (Ohio, United States, Malaysia or China), provide a breakdown of the cultural considerations the new director will need to take into account when relocating and bringing on a staff made up of local nationals (if overseas) or from the local community if in Ohio (remember their headquarters is not in Ohio).
- Identify the cultural considerations by relocating overseas or to Ohio;
- Explain whether the director should consider sourcing leaders from other divisions and taking them to the new location or focus on hiring local personnel as line managers, shift supervisors, and senior leaders;
- Based on best practices and analysis of current infant formula companies, explain how would the director best structure the team. Indicate how senior leadership will be divided (i.e. Assistant Division Director (ADD) of Operations, ADD Finance, ADD Marketing, ADD Sales, etc.) as well as the structure below them. Consider how Operations is divided. There will be procurement of materials; manufacturing, distribution, etc. Finance will have to consider the different accounting processes such as Accounts Receivable, Accounts payable, as well as other processes. Marketing will focus on U.S. based marketing and global marketing and sales will need the same type of considerations. Do not merely use these exact examples, but use them as a starting point and guide for your research.