Expectations are that you will write at least three informed paragraphs (each paragraph being about 5-6 sentences) for the essay questions, and at least one paragraph for the short answers. The questions will come from the text and from my notes of important literature and concepts in international politics. When answering questions, I would urge you to provide a good background of the issue in your responses. Then go about demonstrating your points with specific examples and substantial evidence. Each unit assignment will be worth 20 points or about 10 percent of your grade.
Essay (Please answer only one essay question): 8 points
· Reference the Christopher reading. Identify the differences between jus ad bellum and jus in bello. Should nations fulfill the parameters of just war theory before they go to war? Why or why not? Please use specific examples to underscore your arguments.
· Non-Western countries have critiqued international law as being an example of cultural imperialism. What is meant by cultural imperialism? How should international law be applied in a multicultural world? Be specific.
Short Answer (Please answer three of five questions): 12 points (4 points each)
· Describe three functions of diplomacy.
· List and explain three elements of national power.
· Is Garnett correct that military power is still important in world politics? Why?
· According to Telford Taylor, what are the sources of international law?
· Discuss four ways that international law is made.