Before beginning this assignment please view these videos:
Lean Six Sigma for Healthcare Introduction
Six Sigma for Healthcare – A Better Hospital in Five Days
You are attending a general meeting with management to discuss proposed changes in the Quality Assurance program secondary to a “never event” occurring in your organization [you can consider any never event offered by the AHRQ]. After the presentation and during a question and answer period, several nurses indicate that the “never event” occurred because of inadequate staffing. Several surgeons joined the nursing staff in these allegations.
- What would your response be to their statements?
- Discuss what a “never event” is.
- Discuss what never event occurred that was discussed at this meeting. You must pick one never event such as wrong site surgery, wrong medication given, wrong blood transfusion given, etc.
- Discuss how you would go about examining the validity of their statements.
- What measures you would implement on an ongoing basis to prevent a recurrence of the “never event”.
In this module, you also learned about 4 approaches to quality assurance- TQM, CQI, Lean & Six Sigma.
- Which of these approaches would lend to preventing a “never event”? Justify your answer.
Please support your position with adequate references in a 4-6 page paper (This does not include the title or reference page).